Return to The Evil Within Walkthrough.
When the chapter begins and players have full control they'll be battling a giant spider. You could call it a boss fight, and it likely is, but it's also not overly hard to win. While we don't claim to know its weak spots for sure, we had a great deal of success focusing on the beast's head.
Start off with your Sniper Rifle, but don't be afraid to switch up to your Magnum. In this case, it's likely somewhat easier to aim. We also used a few random bolts for the Agony Crossbow, and even tossed a Grenade its way for good measure. The point is, hit this creature with everything you've got.
After a short battle, Detective Castellanos, Julie Kidman and Joseph will find themselves blocked in by some rubble, and not long after a group of creatures will attack elevated positions surrounding the bus. Go with headshots from your Handgun, but also don't be stingy with the Magnum and Sniper Rifle. Focus first on enemies that are boarding the bus, but quickly take out any foes that try to toss Grenades or Dynamite your way. When the last of the evil doers are down, it's time to get back on the open road.
Tip: The beast will release slug like enemies that are more annoying than anything. Even if these things get to you, they aren't hard to kill, but try to take them out with your Shotgun before that happens.
Almost as if it was scripted, as soon as the busted up bus starts rolling again the beast will attack. There's nothing new here, just keep drilling it with whatever firepower you have, focusing on its head, and even maybe it's belly for good measure. It really doesn't matter what you go with, after you deal enough damage it will be on to the next part of the chapter.
A cut scene will put an end to that boss fight, and when it's over you'll need to make your way through a maze of abandoned vehicles to find a Hemostatic for Joseph. There are a lot of dangerous creatures between you and your objective, but it's not anything you aren't used to dealing with by now.
Start making your way forward, utilizing your Handgun to shoot explosive barrels and set your enemies on fire. If you see a cluster of them, toss a Grenade into the pile, or hit the area with a Freeze Bolt before finishing them off with some melee work. After a short trip, climb inside the ambulance and pick up the Hemostatic from the back.
Now for the fun part - making your way back to Kidman and Joseph. To do this, head in the only direction that you can until you find yourself in front of the Humvee and turret. Climb into the back and take control of the turret, then waste any foes that dare challenge your dominant firepower. When you're satisfied that you've slaughtered enough of them, sprint back to the bus to trigger a chapter ending cut scene.
Tip: You can just run past the enemies and back to the bus. You only have to continue to kill them if you're getting some type of therapeutic benefit from it.
Continue with The Evil Within - Chapter 13 - Casualties.
Chapter 12: The Ride
The Heresy is an enemy encountered in The Evil Within.
The Heresy was originally created as just another mentally-enslaved minion of Ruvik, likely a Haunted, before the creature's host was consumed completely by STEM and became rampant. As it ran amok, the creature started assimilating the minds of whatever being stood in its way and mutated dramatically to become what it was when encountered by Sebastian Castellanos and co. on the Krimson Expressway.
The Heresy is a massive creature with an enormous blob of flesh for a main body. It has three pairs of spindly sharp legs that lets it move around like a spider, while also serving as its primary means of defense.
Smack-dab in the middle of its front side is the creature's misshapen face, along with the remnants of whatever poor souls it had assimilated into its mass. The head appears almost humanoid, with swollen eyes and a nose, and multiple black tubes containing an unspecified fluid connects the Heresy's face to its rear end. The creature's body is swollen with hideous lesions and boils, and an orifice located below its torso allows it to spit out maggot-like spawns to attack prey with.
The Heresy is encountered by Sebastian Castellanos, Joseph Oda and Juli Kidman during Chapter 12: The Ride, as the trio tries to make their way out of the collapsing city. It ambushes their commandeered bus and chases them throughout the city, occasionally retreating out of sight only to suddenly appear and resumes pursuit. After attacking the party for the third time, the creature rears its legs in an attempt to crush the bus, but is killed when Juli Kidman drives the vehicle under a low pass, smashing the creature into solid concrete and ending its life.
The Heresy itself is unkillable with just firearms alone, but can be fought off every time it latches onto the bus.
- If Sebastian stands too close to the creature, the Heresy will expel some acid, which will damage him substantially.
- The Heresy may attempt to stomp on Sebastian in flurries of 3. The camera will automatically lock on to the legs to give the Sebastian an idea as to where they will stomp down in order to sidestep them, but can also disorient the player in the process. The player can aim to stop the camera from auto-locking.
- Heresy can spawn maggots out of its body by shaking it. The maggots will try to grab onto Sebastian's leg and immobilise him like The Keeper's barbed wire traps, where he must cut them off with a QTE. The maggots do negligible damage to Sebastian and will drop either ammo or Green Gel when killed.
- Heresy can plant its claws at the back of the bus and drag them down the middle of the bus. There is an empty space at the left of the bus that Sebastian must stand in to avoid it.
- Alternatively, Heresy can stab its claws at the middle of the bus to crush Sebastian. This is easy to mistake for the above move as they have similar wind-up animations.
- Heresy will also try to swipe at Sebastian twice. Sebastian must move near the middle of the bus and crouch to avoid the swipes. Kidman will warn the player of the boss performing this move for the first time only.
- Using powerful weapons like the Magnum, Shotgun or Sniper Rifle can dislodge the Heresy quickly if one aims for the face.
- Playing on AKUMU makes the maggot spawns exponentially more dangerous as they can kill Sebastian in one hit. Blast them down with the Shotgun before they get close to get rid of them while also gaining some ammo and gel.
- The Heresy is immune to damage once it has been dislodged from the bus. Shots fired will go through it harmlessly, so do not attack it during this time to avoid wasting ammo.
- The fight with the Heresy is one of a very tiny handful of instances where Machine Gun ammo is mostly guaranteed to spawn. Check the tail end of the bus after losing the Heresy behind a collapsed building to find some.
Outrun a gigantic threat in the city.
This is a Secret achievement.
- According to the artbook, the Heresy is not a creature under Ruvik's control, as he could not synchronize with it.
- According to the creature's artist, the black tubes connected to the Heresy's mouth is used to feed itself its own excrement in a process which allegedly gives it immortality.